Customized invitations for a themed winter wedding can include specific seasonal motifs. From delicate snowflakes to bright red holly berries, you have numerous options to personalize your invitations.
Download Free Printable Invitations
Use Adobe to download free printable wedding invitations online. Replace the place holder information with details about your own wedding. Print the invitations onto card stock, add to addressed and stamped envelopes, and mail them to wedding guests.
Motifs for Winter
The motifs and designs you use for your invitations can be those traditionally associated with winter weddings, such as snowflakes, or they can take on a more contemporary feel, such as a photo wedding invitation with a seasonal background.
Some common images and motifs commonly seen on invitations during the snowy season include:
Although there are many invitations that use the preceding traditional motifs, there are also a variety of more unique designs available. A few examples are:
- Two cups of hot chocolate
- Penguin couple
- Whimsical winter city
- Colored stripes and white dots
- Red cardinal or blue jay
- Red roses
- Colored snowflakes
- Glitter invitations
- Shaped invitations (snowflake cutouts, etc.)
Other ideas to make your invitations unique include adding embellishments, such as ribbon, silver or gold cord, and snowflake charms. You can also choose to print your invitations on specialty paper, such as parchment, linen card stock, or metallic paper for a unique look.
More Festive Winter Options
Get into the seasonal spirit by choosing a winter item that reflects the season or holiday and attaching wedding information to that item.
- Sleigh: Find small sleigh replicas. Use a ribbon to attach card stock with the wedding details. Ship the sleighs in small boxes or hand-deliver to local invited guests.
- Ornaments: Find Christmas ornaments that match the color scheme of your wedding. Shaped ornaments, such as snowflake ornaments, can work well too. Tie a ribbon to the top of the ornament so guests can hang it on their tree later. Attach the wedding invitation to the ribbon and ship or hand deliver.
- Mittens or ice skates: Think of winter symbols that come in pairs like a couple. Buy or work with an invitation designer to create invitations in the shape of mittens or ice skates, for example. Add glitter to add a shimmery look, like snow, or use a vellum overlay to create the winter look and feel.
Winter weddings offer many options for colors. While many brides opt for white invitations, there are numerous other color choices as well - just about anything, from cool, icy blues to rich cranberry and evergreen can work.
Custom Winter Invites
If you can't find the winter invitations you want, you can always have custom wedding invitations made to your specifications. Companies offering custom handmade invitations include:
- Wedding Paper Divas: Wedding Paper Divas offers a variety of styles for winter weddings. One option that you can find at Wedding Paper Divas allows you to personalize your invitations with a picture of you and your spouse-to-be. They can also match colors, create custom fonts, offer help with wording, and more. Check their home page or sign up for emails to stay up-to-date on the current deals.
- Minted: You can find unique and one-of-a-kind winter wedding invitation and stationary options at Minted. In addition to unique offerings from their indie designers, you can find options that range from classic to modern. Check their website to learn how to save time during your busy winter months by allowing them to do the envelope addressing for you.
- Invitations by David's Bridal: As one of the most reputable wedding gown stores, David's Bridal also offers hundreds of winter wedding invitations. The store offers a wide variety of styles from laser cut trees to foil snowflakes and customizable options backed by their reputation. If you happened to open a credit card through the company when purchasing your gown, you can also use it to pay for the wedding invitations.
Although custom winter invitations can cost more money, if you have your heart set on a certain design or want something original, the extra cost may be worth it to you.
The wording for your winter invitations gives you an opportunity to experiment with wonderful phrases associated with the season. Many companies have pre-worded templates you can choose, or you can often specify your own wording.
Ideas for winter wording include those pertaining to:
- Falling in love (with an invite of falling snow)
- The magic or miracle of Christmas
- The peace/joy of the season
- Jingle wedding
- Winter weather
- Winter wonderland
- Phrases incorporated from favorite Christmas carols
Seasonal Invitation Tips
- Winter is a busy time of year for postal and shipping services, so order your invitations early to avoid getting them caught in the holiday rush.
- Send out invitations well in advance to avoid clashing with your guests' holiday travel plans, perhaps even earlier than the traditionally advised six to eight weeks in advance.
- If you are worried about invitations getting wet in a very snowy climate, consider an alternative like using an invitation in a bottle.
Invitation First Impressions
Wedding invitations are your guests' first glimpse into what your event has in store for them. Whether it's a formal affair or intimate and informal wedding, your invitations tell it all. Weaving the winter theme into your invitations announces the theme to your guests and sets the tone for the entire event as it unfolds.