January weddings bring a wide range of ideas for colors, themes, and flowers. Imaginations spark with different ways to celebrate nuptials during this cold month. You can use January's chilly aspects to your advantage with some creative wedding designs.
January Wedding Colors
A January wedding works well with many colors. Any shade of blue, silver, and white are gorgeous choices for a winter wedding in this month. Although pastel shades are largely reserved for spring weddings, several pastel shades, such as ice blue or baby blue, lavender, or dusty rose are perfect "icy" options. Rich, deep, elegant colors such as the following also work well for a January or winter wedding:
- Midnight blue
- Hunter green
- Deep aqua/turquoise
Black and White Weddings
Wonderfully elegant, a black and white wedding can be an excellent choice for a January wedding. Black and white can add class and drama to any wedding. To add a bit more depth to the color scheme, choose to accents of red or burgundy to go with the black and white motif; or, for a modern feel, choose pink or chartreuse accents. For another twist, couples may choose a rich chocolate or deep brown and ivory or cream.
January Wedding Themes
Many weddings today start with a theme to plan around. For January and winter weddings, theme ideas might include:
- Blizzard or winter weather
- Winter wonderland
- Snowflakes/ and or Icicle theme
- "Alaskan" or "Arctic" theme
- A fun "summer" theme that might contrast with the cold or blustery weather
- Whimsical penguins, polar bears, or other animals that live in cold climates
- A New Year's/New Beginnings theme
- Beauty and the Beast
- Snow White
- A "Golden" wedding - gold was first discovered in California in January in 1848
- Formal wedding themes
January Wedding Flowers
The availability of winter flowers depends on your location and climate, so ask a florist in your area what flowers are available in this month in your area. Non-seasonal flowers may be available at an increased price, but should be considered if they are flowers you and want for the wedding. Consider the color as well as the flower. Available flowers for January may include:
- Calla Lilies
- Bells of Ireland
- Star Gazer Lily
If you are unable to find the perfect blooms in season, consider opting for silk wedding flowers.
Winter Wedding Decorating Ideas
A January wedding can be decorated beautifully. Winter lends itself nicely to decorating with natural or faux items such as pine cones, berries and berry clusters evergreen and garland, and branches or wood decor. Snow and ice themes are beautiful and can be created using handmade or purchased décor items, crystal place settings and centerpieces, and even unusual décor like ice sculptures for special effect. Other ways to decorate ceremony and receptions include:
- Strings of colored, white, or icicle lights can be placed strategically to lend beauty and harmonize with a winter theme.
- Utilize groups of white, silver or colored candles.
- Faux sugar frosted fruits can be used as centerpieces or table décor.
- Carnation "snowballs" can also be utilized to decorate to lend an air of romance and whimsy.
- Mini silver bells go well with a January theme and many wedding colors, too.
Wedding Ideas for January: Favors
- Mint tins or rolls with winter-themed wrappers
- Snowflake key rings, gel candles, or bookmarks, or mini-picture frames
- White chocolate in winter-themes motifs
- Individual frosted sugar cookies in igloos, snowflakes, or other icons
- White soaps in winter designs
- White or silver tea light candles
- Miniature snow globes
- Winter-themed drink coasters
- Individual tea bags, hot chocolate, or gourmet coffee
- Faux crystal paperweights
- Silver-wrapped candies
- Winter wine-stoppers
- Themed ice cream scoops
- Themed mugs
- Scented pine cones or sachets
- Bath salts packaged to resemble snow cones
Advantages of Winter Weddings
Although spring and early summer are more popular times for weddings, there are many advantages to a winter wedding, especially in January. Since that month is after the winter holidays, and before what is considered the rush of the bridal "season," you may find the venue of your choice more available and have your pick of dates and times. Select from a variety of wonderful themes that work well with a wedding taking place in this month, no matter what climate you are in.