Wedding Dresses That Flatter
Every bride wants to look her best on the big day, and viewing wedding dresses for different body types can help you choose the most flattering style for your figure. One of the most important ways brides can flatter their body shape is by looking for a dress that creates a balanced figure. With a few simple hints, you can choose a wedding dress that maximizes your best assets and minimizes flaws to make you look your gorgeous best for your wedding day.
Wedding Dresses for Apple Shapes
Many women have an apple shape, which is the term for those who carry extra weight in the tummy, and there are plenty of gorgeous options for women who are a bit fuller in the waist. Wedding dresses that will flatter apple shapes include:
- Dresses with V-necklines to create a vertical line
- A-line or empire waist dresses that fall gently away from the body
- Textured bodices to camouflage imperfections around the waist
- Dresses with strategic beading or embellishment that give the illusion of a smaller waist
Gowns for Pear Body Shapes
Another common body shape is the pear, or those who typically carry extra weight in the hips. Gowns that flatter pear shapes de-emphasize the hips while playing up feminine shoulders and waist. Look for:
- Dresses that float away from the hips rather than cling
- Scoop or boat neck styles, cap sleeves, and off the shoulder styles that create balance by broadening the shoulders
- Gowns with embellishment or details that emphasize the bust
- Ball gowns that emphasize a small waist, including flat front styles without full skirts
Dresses for Rectangular Figures
Rectangle body shapes are often thin or athletic with fewer curves. To create the look of a defined waist and curves, look for dresses that draw in or emphasize the waist. This body type can also look fabulous in a soft sheath style. Other dresses to consider include:
- Ball gowns with cinched waists
- Dresses with ruching or ruffles along the body
- Modified A-line and empire waists that skim the body for soft curves while showing off a slender figure
- Dresses with corsets or embellishment on the bust to create the illusion of a larger bust
Gowns for Hourglass Figures
Hourglass figures typically have a curvier figure with balanced bust and hips and a defined waist. To accentuate a small waist and make the most of feminine curves in a wedding dress, choose styles such as:
- Trumpet or mermaid style gowns that fit the body and flare out below the hips
- Two piece dresses with a fitted bodice
- Corset style dresses
- Strapless dresses with fitted waists
- Gowns with sweetheart or scoop necklines
Wedding Gowns for Petite Brides
Petite brides often prefer dresses that give them the illusion of a bit more height. Look for dresses that don't clearly demarcate the waist or hips for a longer silouhette. Vertical embellishment in the bodice or gown can also create a longer line for the body. Sleeveless, strapless, or spaghetti strap gown styles often work well for petites since they keep the vertical line of the dress.
Dresses for Plus Size Brides
Embrace your curves and fall in love with one of the many flattering wedding gown styles for fuller figures. Empire waist dresses do camouflage extra weight in the tummy and hips, but avoid those that are too full or loose.
- Drop waist dress styles, ball gowns, and two-piece dresses are great choices
- Dresses with halter or sweetheart necklines show off a great bust and take the emphasis off tummy and hips
- Princess seams create the look of a slimmer silouhette
- Structured fabrics like satin help hide imperfections
Wedding Gowns for Tall Brides
Tall brides can pull off almost any of the wedding dresses for different body types mentioned. Ball gowns with defined or drop waists, mermaid and trumpet style dresses, structured sheaths, and modified A-lines are all flattering choices. Tall brides may want to avoid loose empire dresses, though, since these can over-emphasize height.
Wedding Dresses and Body Types
Every woman's body type is different and unique, and while these general tips can help brides look for dress details that flatter their figures, it's important to remember that there is no one-size-fits-all rule for wedding dresses for different body types. If you love a dress, don't be held back by the wedding gown suggestions for different body types; go ahead and try it on. Just remember the most flattering gowns create balance and show off your best traits.
If you need more inspiration, just check out our Gallery of Unusual Wedding Dresses.