Choosing a grand entrance song to play at the reception to announce the wedding party's arrival is easy. Keep in mind you're selecting the best wedding song that reflects the tone of the reception and the personalities of the bride and groom. There are a few ways you can narrow your list of choices.
How to Select Grand Entrance Songs for Your Wedding Party
The wedding party entrance song sets the stage for the reception, so make it engaging and entertaining. Something lighthearted for the wedding reception music is a popular choice even for formal weddings. Most couples steer clear of slow romantic classical pieces. Your wedding DJ or band may be able to make suggestions after speaking with you as a couple, or your friends may have excellent suggestions. Consider the following questions when picking your wedding party's grand entrance song:
- Will people recognize it, or is it too obscure to be appreciated?
- Does it reflect our wedding party?
- Does it reflect our personality as a couple?
- Is it appropriate for our reception (not too formal, but nothing with foul language, either)?
- Do I want just an instrumental version, or lyrics, too?
Theme Songs from Television and Movies
Television and movie theme songs can make excellent grand entrance songs. Popular themes from television shows include Love and Marriage from Married. . . with Children and the theme from The Simpsons. If you are adventurous, maybe the Survivor theme is right for you. Honor your friends in the wedding party by playing the chorus from The Wonder Years (A Little Help From My Friends) as your opening song.
Movie soundtracks also offer a lot of choices for grand entrance songs. Your bridesmaids and groomsmen will want to get into the fun, so have them "groove" on into the reception with the following movie themes and songs:
- Mission Impossible Theme
- Austin Powers Theme
- Godfather Theme
- Jurassic Park Theme
- Star Wars Theme
- Danger Zone from Top Gun
- You're the One That I Want from Grease
- Men in Black from Men in Black (Will Smith)
- Eye of the Tiger from the Rocky soundtrack
Children's movies can provide a number of romantic but still lighthearted numbers from which to choose your wedding party's grand entrance song. Perhaps Cinderella was a childhood favorite of the bride, or maybe your first date involved seeing a Walt Disney movie. Regardless, you are sure to find Disney wedding songs that fit the bill if you wish.
Oldies but Goodies
Playing a song from decades past can be a fun way to open your reception. Choose a song that older generations enjoyed, but that younger ones frequently know the words to as well. Classic rock, 1950s rock 'n' roll, or a big band hit will start your wedding reception off on the right foot. Pick out a song of your own, or think about using any of these songs:
- Another One Bites the Dust -Queen
- Tequila -The Champs
- Puttin' on the Ritz -various artists, including Frank Sinatra or Benny Goodman
- What a Wonderful World -Louis Armstrong
- Joy to the World -Three Dog Night
Some of the best grand entrance songs for your bridal party are those that are considered great party songs. Consider using these songs for your grand entrance:
- Accidentally in Love -Counting Crows
- Get Ready for This --Technotronic
- I'm a Believer -Smash Mouth
- Let's Get It Started -Black Eyed Peas
- Rock & Roll All Night -KISS
- Let's Get Ready to Rumble -Jock Jams
- Everybody Have Fun Tonight -Wang Chung
No matter what song you choose, your wedding party and guests are sure to have a blast at your wedding reception.