The right gazebo wedding decorations add elegance to a beach wedding or whimsy to a backyard garden reception. In addition to dressing up a simple structure, decorations can help cover imperfections or emphasize a theme.
Garlands offer a simple and cost effective way to decorate a gazebo for a wedding. Multiple strands can be woven around the railings, across the pillars and columns, and swagged from the ceiling and roof.
A garland does not have to be a faux ivy vine made of plastic leaves and wire. Use alternatives to the traditional ivy that are budget friendly and enhance the décor theme:
- Garlands made of fir, pinecones and berries are a winter wedding idea that will compliment a Christmas or snowflake wedding theme.
- Grapevine garlands look lovely at a gazebo for a winery or wine themed wedding.
- Velvet ribbon or wide iridescent ribbon in colors that match the bridal party is a cost effective way to decorate a gazebo.
- Dried maple leaves or faux fall colored leaves flatter an autumnal wedding.
- Flowers, real or silk, can be wired into a garland and hung on a gazebo.
- Tulle wedding decorations, like garlands, create an ethereal effect at dusk when used on a gazebo.
- Balloons are cheap wedding decoration ideas that can also be used on a gazebo during a wedding reception.
Affix garlands with clips to avoid damaging the gazebo. Create a unified decorating scheme by using the gazebo garland as an idea on decorating a wedding arch or pavilion.
Gazebos usually lack lighting, which can be an issue for couples who get married at dusk or on a cloudy day. Lighting also helps a professional photographer take better pictures of the couple and bridal party members.
Candles are a romantic choice and can be cost effective, but some reception locations do not allow open flames. Check with the location coordinator to find out the lighting guidelines. Anyone who is borrowing a gazebo from friends or family should check to be sure they can use candles in their decorations.
If candles are allowable gazebo wedding decorations, use them in the following ways:
- Attach them with clips around the railing of the gazebo.
- Hang candle lanterns around the gazebo roof.
- Use candelabras at the top of the altar area.
- Place oversized pillar candles in a fire-safe wedding flower arrangement and display on short columns near the steps.
Even if a gazebo does not have lighting itself, several outlets are often spaced around the edifice. White or clear light strands, especially when used with a garland, can help create a glowing scene. Some ideas for a rainbow wedding might include using multi-colored strands or picking a strand in the main wedding color like blue or purple.
Weddings hosted in the evening may need even more lighting options. Instead of dragging out spotlights or house lamps, rent a large chandelier that can be safely hung above the couple in the altar area and use luminaries to line the wedding aisle.
Thematic Gazebo Wedding Decorations
A gazebo is a quaint outdoor wedding idea for a ceremony or reception. Even climates that are cooler can enclose a gazebo within a larger wedding tent to accommodate large numbers of guests. Small weddings with immediate family may be able to cover an open area with heavyweight plastic and bring in seating to accommodate 10 to 20 people in cold areas.
Versatility is important when choosing a wedding location and a gazebo can be decorated to highlight almost any theme.
- Garden Wedding Ideas: Use stepping stones to lead up to the gazebo steps, hang cascading floral arrangements from the roof, and cover the floor in rose petals.
- Christmas Wedding Decorations: Hang snowflake or icicle lights around the gazebo, decorate Christmas trees inside and outside the gazebo and use large red and gold bows on the gazebo pillars.
- Fall Wedding Ideas: Cornshocks can border the gazebo stairs, pumpkins can be placed almost anywhere and baskets of apples and pears can sit on the steps of the gazebo itself.
- Halloween Weddings: Decorations for a gazebo can be large spiders with webs across the gazebo roof, a fog machine in the background of the gazebo altar area, and carved jack-o-lanterns lining the railing.
Gazebo wedding decorations are limited only by time, budget and creativity. Tie the décor into the rest of the wedding theme in order to create a picturesque and memorable ceremony location.