Wedding dance songs that are fun and lively ensure a lighthearted reception. Fun dance songs create a party celebration atmosphere your wedding guests will enjoy. Before choosing a list of party songs there are a few things you want to consider.
When you choose a playlist for your wedding reception, it is important to remember that the songs you find fun may not be fun for all your guests. As you choose different music, consider…
- Timing: Not every moment at the reception will be suitable for a fun party song. While the wedding party grand entrance song may be more humorous or crazy, and a raucous number is perfect for the garter toss, outrageous songs are not usually right for a couple's first dance, a mother and son dance, or a father and daughter dance.
- Guest List: Your guest list will most likely include individuals of many different ages, and choosing fun wedding dance songs that will be familiar to everyone will get your guests onto the dance floor more easily. Play fun oldies songs earlier in the evening when your grandparents and older guests will have more energy, and save the most modern crazy songs for later in the reception when everyone has relaxed a bit more.
- Participation: The idea of choosing a fun playlist is to get everyone onto the dance floor for a good time, but it is important to never force anyone to dance if they aren't comfortable doing so. While you, or your DJ, can encourage everyone to dance, avoid singling out anyone who prefers to watch.
Ideas for Fun Wedding Dance Songs
The best fun songs will be the ones everyone likes and that can be easily danced to no matter what dance abilities your guests have. Fortunately, there are a wide range of great wedding songs that can add fun to the dance portion of your reception.
Group dances are those where everyone can dance at once without needing individual partners. Wedding line dances are popular, as are other group dances with popular moves and fun beats. Great choices include:
- Electric Slide
- Cha Cha Slide
- Boot Scootin' Boogie
- Hokey Pokey
Party songs are fun, fast-paced songs that tell a story, often with a bit of humor or a twist of fun romance. These songs are great for a choreographed bridal party dance or just to add some energy to your wedding reception music. Popular choices include:
- Love Shack - B-52's
- We Are Family - Sister Sledge
- Straight Up - Paula Abdul
- Friends in Low Place - Garth Brooks
Retro music is nostalgic for weddings, because often these are the tunes you grew up dancing to, or those that your older guests know best and that have remained popular for generations, even if they were only one hit wonders in their prime. These fun songs can easily be included in your playlist and will make all your guests smile. Popular fun retro wedding songs include:
- The Twist - Chubby Checker
- Great Balls of Fire - Jerry Lee Lewis
- Hound Dog - Elvis Presley
- Stayin' Alive - Bee Gees
- Chapel of Love - The Dixie Cups
- My Boyfriend's Back - The Angels
- We Go Together - Grease Soundtrack
- Ice Ice Baby - Vanilla Ice
More Wedding Dance Tips
For the most fun at your wedding dance…
- Vary the beat, speed, and type of music throughout the evening to keep the playlist fresh and fun.
- Theme your musical selections to the type of wedding you're planning, such as using mostly country wedding songs for a western wedding.
- Always preview the full lyrics for your wedding playlist to be sure there are no offensive or off color surprises in verses you may not normally hear.
- Decorate your dance floor with overhead streamers, moving lights, or other accents to make it an exciting and fun atmosphere.
- Instruct your bridal party members to encourage different people to dance instead of just dancing with their partners for the entire evening.
- Consider allowing your guests to request their favorite songs from the DJ, or ask for their favorite songs on your wedding RSVP for help making a playlist everyone will enjoy.
Fun wedding dance songs add energy and enjoyment to your reception by encouraging everyone to get out on the dance floor. Once you've chosen a range of fun songs to use, the only detail left is to put on your dancing shoes!