Songs for the father and daughter wedding dance should reflect both of your personalities. Whether you pick the song out together or you decide to dedicate the song to your daughter or father as a surprise, put some thought into picking your tune.
Modern Songs for Fathers and Daughters
While popular and traditional songs are recognizable, you may want a more modern alternative to the father daughter dance tunes everyone knows. From country to pop and rock father daughter dance songs, you'll find something new to grab everyone's attention:
- Daddy Dance With Me by Krystal Keith - Keith is the daughter of famous country star Toby Keith, and she wrote this song for their dance at her wedding.
- Dance Like Yo Daddy by Meghan Trainor - This is a pop tune that's perfect for an easy surprise choreographed dance, given it offers a few instructions right in the lyrics.
- Dance With My Daughter by Jason Blaine - The country song's lyrics describe a wonderful daughter and describe how the father wants to take one more dance "under the lights".
- I'll Be Your Man by Zac Brown Band - No matter what happens to his daughter, this country singer lets her know he'll always be there for her and won't let her go.
- Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way by U2 - Lead singer Bono told iHeartRadio this song was written for his children. When played at a wedding, this song will let a daughter know she is loved even when things get tough. It would also be a good selection for a father daughter dance at a same sex wedding.
- Right By You (for Luna) by John Legend - After his daughter Luna was born, Legend wrote this pop song that assures her no matter what, he'll be there for her.
Most Popular Father Daughter Dance Songs
When a song hits just the right note with beautiful lyrics, it quickly becomes a wedding dance classic. These songs make an appearance on numerous wedding dance lists, from iHeartRadio to DJ playlists to Brides Magazine's list on Spotify to radio stations.
- Butterfly Kisses by Bob Carlisle - This song was made for fathers and daughters to dance to at a wedding. The father talks about how his daughter gave him butterfly kisses, which are kisses on his cheek by fluttering her eyelashes, when she was a little girl.
- Daddy by Beyonce - The music icon celebrates her father by telling him she wants her "unborn son" and husband to be just like him.
- My Girl by The Temptations - My Girl has a faster beat and rhythm than traditional songs. The lyrics could be considered from a father's point of view on how his daughter makes him feel.
- My Little Girl by Tim McGraw - A beautiful country song, this offers everyone a touching moment when watching the father and daughter twirl around the floor.
- The Way You Look Tonight by Frank Sinatra - The lyrics are tender and sweet, so it is sure to create a tender moment during the father and daughter dance. The lyrics imply that the daughter looks radiant, beautiful, and gorgeous on her big day (or night).
- You Are So Beautiful by Joe Cocker - Talk about a tear-jerker, this is a classic song that hints at beauty on the inside and the outside.
Traditional Songs for All Fathers and Daughters
Whether lighthearted or sentimental, these songs can convey your emotions during this important dance.
Pop and Rock Songs
Whether they're new, old, retro, or anything in between, these pop and rock songs make great options.
- Beautiful in My Eyes by Joshua Kadison - The lyrics could be heard as though they are from a dad's perspective. He talks about how he sees his daughter. The way a father sees his daughter can be quite different from the way the rest of the world sees her--more special and with more meaning.
- Because You Loved Me by Celine Dion - This song could be a message from a daughter to a father; the lyrics say that she is everything she is today because of the love and support her father gave to her.
- Daddy Could Swear, I Declare by Gladys Knight & The Pips - This upbeat song from the 1970s is perfect for a casual wedding for a father and daughter who don't mind being silly. In this fun tune, the daughter describes situations where he pulls out the swear words, but he despite this, she says he "means the world to me."
- Dancing on Daddy's Shoes by Leon Redbone - The song brings back memories of when the bride was a little girl. When she would dance with her father, she would dance while standing on top of his shoes. Since most little girls turned brides did this with their dad, it's heartwarming, traditional, and sentimental -- all wrapped up into one song.
- Daughters by John Mayer - This lovely song talks about how when a father is good to his daughter, she will love him as he loves her.
- Father and Daughter by Paul Simon - Select this beautiful tune for a sentimental dance that won't leave anyone's eyes dry.
- God Only Knows by The Beach Boys - This beachy pop tune offers up declarations of love that no one but God would understand.
- Isn't She Lovely by Stevie Wonder - It's an upbeat song, so it's not too slow or sentimental. The lyrics are from a father's point of view on how wonderful his daughter is moments after she is born.
- Sweet Child O' Mine by Guns N' Roses - Fast, metallic, and a fun wedding song, a father and daughter can really get down to this rocking classic.
- Wind Beneath My Wings by Bette Midler - The song lyrics hold a message about someone holding someone up in the spotlight without recognition, which is something many fathers do for their daughters. The music has a powerful feel to it, adding depth to the song.
A classic country tune often carries sentimental feelings. Pick a wonderful country wedding song for your dance together:
- Daddy's Hands by Holly Dunn - A daughter describes her father's hands as both soft and hard, just like him.
- My Wish by Rascal Flatts - Lyrics describe all the hopes and dreams someone has for another person, just like a father has for his daughter.
- There Goes My Life by Kenny Chesney - A father discusses watching his daughter grow up in this poignant coming-of-age song.
- You Are My Sunshine by Jimmie Davis - A peppy tune that's been covered by artists from Bing Crosby to Carly Simon to Chris Stapleton, this song celebrates a day being brightened by the someone you love.
Jazz, folk, religious, and even Broadway show tunes can all make lovely songs for a father daughter dance. These songs make great alternative father daughter dance selections:
- Cinderella by Steven Curtis Chapman - A lovely choice for a fairy tale Cinderella wedding, this song from the Christian singer is beautiful to hear.
- Daddy's Little Girl by Al Martino - This old, jazz classic is a highly traditional wedding song. The father talks about everything that makes his daughter "Daddy's little girl."
- Daughter by Loudon Wainwright III - It's a lighthearted folk song with lyrics that a father and daughter can enjoy while they are dancing. The lyrics talk about everything the father has done for his daughter.
- Father Daughter Dance by Craig Cardiff - Cardiff is a folk musician whose song perfectly describes what a father thinks and feels on his daughter's wedding day.
- Sunrise, Sunset from Fiddler on the Roof - The father of the bride sings this lovely song about the couple at his daughter's wedding.
- Unforgettable by Nat King Cole - In the version where Nat's daughter, Natalie, sings with him (using technology many years later), you can feel the affection between a daughter and her father through the lyrics of the jazz song.
Put on Your Dancin' Shoes
While having a father and daughter dance at a wedding is a tradition, song choices can range from sentimental to traditional to fun. Pick a song that means something to you and your father, put on your dancing shoes, and have the best wedding dance you can!