Ideas for a fun bridal shower theme include traditional or out of the ordinary topics. Capitalize on the current season for a holiday theme to ensure an unforgettable event.
Wine and Cheese Tasting Shower
This shower theme will get all the guests mingling while they enjoy a variety of wines and foods. Send out an invite that features wine bottles or grapevines. Make sure to include that the shower is a wine tasting event.
Ask the bride-to-be what her favorite types of wines are and be sure to include those in the tasting. You can keep it simple and offer a few varietals of wine.
You can use decorations such as:
- Wine glasses that will double as favors, as well as for tasting the wines
- Bottles of wine
- Grapevines and grapes
- Flowers in wine bottles used as vases
- Streamers and balloons in hues of purple and green
Games and Activities
Tasting wine will be the main activity, but you can add in a few other fun games such as:
- Bride trivia: Make a list of questions about the bride, including one about her favorite wine, and ask them at the shower. Whoever gets the most questions correct wins a bottle of wine.
- Guess the wine: In addition to tasting the wine, hold a contest to see who can guess what type of wine they are drinking. Use a blind wine tasting sheet to help guests track what they've tasted and as a way to keep track of guesses.
The menu will be centered around the wine tasting. Choose foods that will pair well with the wines you are serving. Some ideas include:
- Cheese: Offer a mild cheese, sharp cheese, and a hard cheese.
- Fresh fruit: Choose fruits such as strawberries, grapes, and fresh melon.
- Crackers and fresh bread
- Mini quiche
- Cake decorated with a wine theme
This theme is ideal for the bride-to-be who loves to craft and has everything she needs to start off her new life. Ask guests to bring photos of the couple or memories from their friendship together, as well as any favorites recipes or items that they would like to share with the couple. These items will be used to make a special scrapbook page to include in a scrapbook that the bride-to-be will take with her after the shower.
For a special touch, create handmade invitations using scrapbooking supplies.
Keep the decorations simple, as supplies will likely get spread throughout the party area.
- Cover the tables with brown craft paper and group similar supplies on the table in decorative containers.
- Create sample scrapbook pages and use them as part of the decorations.
- Brightly colored streamers and balloons add pops of color.
Making the scrapbook pages will be the main activity. Some other fun games to play while crafting include:
- Bridal shower bingo: Create blank bingo cards and have guests write in the squares the gifts they think the bride will get at the shower. As she opens the gifts, they can mark off the squares they have filled in. Whoever fills in the card first gets the prize.
- Scrapbook contest: Hold a contest to see who makes the funniest page, most creative, or most romantic page. Award the winners with gift certificates to local craft supply stores.
You can keep the menu simple so that guests can scrapbook as they eat. Some options include:
- Mini croissants filled with ham and turkey
- Potato or pasta salad
- Vegetables and dip
Country Bridal Shower
A country shower theme is ideal for any bride-to-be that loves wide open spaces or a more relaxed way of life. Announce the shower with a country-themed invitation that has cowboy hats, plaid, and farm-related designs. You can also opt for a simple invitation using brown craft paper and add an image of a wagon wheel or other western design.
If the weather permits, a country shower can be held outdoors. If not, bring it inside and include decorations such as:
- Wagon wheels
- "Most wanted" posters featuring the bride and groom
- Cowboy hats
- Stuffed farm animals
- Wooden stars
- Bales of straw
- Paper cowboy boots
Set up wooden picnic tables outside if you have the room. Serve food in baskets, glass jars, and canisters. You can also purchase plates and napkins in a bandana pattern.
Game and Activities
A couple country-themed games to include at the shower are:
- Find the ring in the haystack: Purchase plastic rings and hide them in a stack of hay before the shower. Have guests try to find the rings. Whoever finds the most rings within a designated time limit is the winner.
- What's under the hat: Place several wedding-themed items under cowboy hats and place them on a table. Use items such as a garter, fake wedding rings, veil, etc. Have guests write down what they think is under each hat. Whoever guesses correctly is the winner.
Ask the bride-to-be for a list of her favorite comfort foods to include as part of the menu. Serve the food family-style and supplement her favorites with these dishes:
- Fried or grilled chicken
- Assorted cold sandwiches
- Macaroni and cheese
- Potato salad
- Fresh seasonal fruits
- Homemade pies and cookies
- Lemonade and sweet tea
Lingerie Bridal Shower
Equip the bride-to-be with some sexy lingerie with a lingerie bridal shower. Ask each guest to bring a gift of lingerie in lieu of traditional gifts. Be sure to use an invitation with feminine appeal, such as one in pink and black. Mention what size of lingerie to purchase for the bride.
Set the stage for the shower with decorations such as:
- Lace tablecloths
- Flowers and feathers as centerpieces
- Red, pink, and black streamers and balloons
- Black and pink fluffy garland
- Leopard print accents
- Heart candles
- Red rose petals
Games and Activities
Some fun activities to include at the shower are:
- Pass the teddy: Play this like hot potato and pass around a teddy. When the music stops, whoever is holding the teddy must put it on.
- Guess the panties: Ask each guest to bring a new pair of underwear for the bride. Place them all on a clothesline then have everyone guess who each pair is from.
- Share a secret: As each guest enters the shower, ask them to jot down a secret or tip to share with the new bride. Give them to her after the shower.
Keep with the theme and include food options such as:
- Chocolate covered strawberries
- Assorted chocolates
- Blackened chicken salad
- Strawberry and spinach salad
- Shrimp cocktail
- Champagne punch
Luau Bridal Shower
Any bride that loves the beach will enjoy a luau bridal shower. Send out an invitation with a luau theme or one that has images of the sun and sand.
Bring the feel of the beach to the shower with decorations such as:
- Balloons and streamers in shades of blue and green
- A large cut-out of the sun
- Brightly colored flowers
- Leis for all the guests
- Palm trees
- Colorful birds
- Tiki torches
Games and Activities
Be sure to play fun Hawaiian music at the shower. You can include activities such as:
- Grass skirt making: Put a twist on the traditional toilet paper gown game by having guests make a grass skirt out of toilet paper for the bride. Divide the guests into teams, and give each team a roll of toilet paper. Have them create a grass skirt out of the roll of toilet paper.
- Hula dance: Teach the guests a traditional hula dance. Watch a video clip online together, and then divide into teams. Create a dance especially for the bride-to-be.
Serve tropical items and an assortment of foods such as:
- Assorted fresh fruits such as strawberries, pineapple, papaya, and coconut
- Chicken kabobs
- Pulled pork
- Fruit punch
- Coconut cake
In addition to coming up with creative bridal shower themes, you can go with a more classic theme such as:
- Garden party: For this theme, serve fresh salads and teas. You can decorate with plenty of fresh flowers and greenery to make it feel as if you were in a lovely outdoor garden. Decorate hats with feathers, flowers, and beads to wear during the party.
- Spa day party: Pamper the bride and all the guests with mini manicures, pedicures, and massages. Decorate in colors such as pinks and purples. Hand out samples of bath products, nail polish, and fragrances to each guest. Serve spa party food for guests to enjoy.
Super Shower Themes
No matter what theme you choose, a bridal shower can be fun for all invited. Make your themed shower super by incorporating the key elements: a variety of games, assorted foods, and plenty of friends and family.