Armani wedding dresses are a gorgeous way to add some decadent style to a formal wedding ceremony and reception. With years of notoriety in the fashion industry, Armani continues to impress with some of the classiest gowns paired with a designer label.
Who Is Giorgio Armani?
An Italian designer born in the 1930s, Giorgio Armani got his start in the fashion industry as a designer for a famous fashion house in Italy. After nine years, he went on to pursue his own freelance designs and with a partner named Sergio Galeotti he successfully launched a menswear line. A women's line quickly followed, with the help of his sister Rosanna Armani.
With his designs doing well, he began to earn a true American name for himself when Hollywood took note of his talent. He designed outfits for both movies and the public appearances of various stars, and he is now known as one of the world's most successful overseas designers alive today.
The Allure of Armani Wedding Dresses
Stars continue to be enraptured by Armani's signature look of glamour and style, sometimes to the point they include the designer's creations on their wedding day. Since this is often the biggest day of their lives, Armani has made himself available in the past to dream up the perfect couture gown for some of Hollywood's elite.
Armani Design Features
Armani gowns are known for being distinctive, made with the highest quality materials as well as stylish designs. These couture dresses may have the following design elements:
- Unique styling - From statement ruffles to sleek silhouettes to elegant dresses that incorporate contemporary trends, the careful styling and designs of each Armani dress mean they are something special.
- Meaningful inspiration - The inspiration behind each creation is also meaningful, often taking cues from the embodiment of the Armani brand - simplicity, sophistication, and clean, elegant lines. The designs also infuse creativity, originality, and at times, a touch of playfulness. All this, along with incorporating elements inspired from changing times and fashion landscapes, are at the heart of what it means to the designer to be a couture brand.
- Luxury fabric and materials - From choice velvet to flowing tulle to glittering accents, the materials used for everything from dress linings to small details on Armani gowns is the highest quality. This means have a look and feel that sets them apart.
- Elegance and class - Giorgio Armani is known as the man who invented red-carpet dressing, and is synonymous with decades of incredible style. The often understated, but always applauded, Armani designs are associated with a class of sophistication and high fashion all its own. The wedding dresses, therefore, are a fitting choice for a bride who wants to stand out with a classy couture designer name and careful attention to detail and design in her dress.
Stars With Armani Gowns
Although Armani may have come to stars with the idea of red carpet dressing decades ago, today many celebrities request Armani wedding dresses for their nuptials.
Italian aristocrat Beatrice Borromeo donned multiple Armani wedding gowns for her 2015 nuptial celebrations in Italy and Monaco to Pierre Casiraghi. The designs include a chic, sophisticated sleeveless v-neck dress in tulle with eye-catching shoulder extensions and a boho-inspired sheer white gown with lace details and long sleeves.
Music icon Tina Turner wore a non-traditional black and green taffeta Armani dress at her 2013 wedding to record producer Erwin Bach. The layered dress features a full skirt, cap sleeves, and a lovely squared bodice with Swarovski crystals.
Prince Charlene of Monaco
Princess Charlene of Monaco wore a stunning Armani dress at her wedding in 2011. Her gown, which was made with duchesse silk and silk organza, featuring 40,000 Swarovski crystals and 20,000 mother of pearl drops embroidered into the design, was created with a modern yet elegant appeal. It took 2,500 hours to create, including 700 hours for the embroidery alone.
Megan Fox wore a gorgeous Armani dress at her 2010 Hawaiian beach wedding to Brian Austin Green. The couture beach dress was strapless, and featured a sweetheart neckline and empire waist. It was completed with a full-length veil.
Happily, sometimes the stars come to his own stomping grounds. For example, when Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes were engaged, Armani designed the wedding attire for their 2006 wedding. As a bonus, it just so happened the couple married inside a castle located in Armani's native Italy. For Holmes, Armani obliged her request for a simple yet elegant dress with a slim silhouette and plenty of layered fabric. The end result was an off-the-shoulder dress with a silk train infused with lace and crystal embroidery. An ivory silk train finished off the picture perfect look, and the wedding photos of the gown went down in media history.
Armani also designed a dress for the then 7-month old Suri, taking a cue from the bridal gown with plenty of layers of organza in which to dance and twirl.
Oscar winner Mira Sorvino also used Armani for her wedding in 2004. Just like many of the famous Armani wedding gowns, Sorvino's included a slim cut with plenty of satin and beading. Armani also designed the groom's suit for this couple's big day.
Where to Buy
An Armani gown isn't an everyday purchase, but brides looking for one have a few options. You don't have to be a celebrity to enjoy the incomparable style of Armani wedding dresses.
While the ready-to-wear Giorgio Armani collections are available at stores and through the website, the couture dresses are not readily available to everyday customers, and new Armani wedding dresses are not available at standard bridal retailers. Furthermore, haute couture dresses and wedding dresses can run from several thousand to over $100,000. According an Armani Prive haute couture client, the journey begins with an introduction to the atelier, and then the customer flies in to a specified location to view styles and try on a specific dress style if desired. Fit, design details, and modifications are discussed, and three to four fittings may be required. Other options include:
- Attending a runway show where Armani is featured is another way to inquire about a specific dress you have found you've fallen in love with. Again, you'll have to be prepared with an impressive bank account balance, and get yourself into an exclusive event, but if you manage to do so, then the dresses may be at your fingertips.
- Celebrities and the designer himself also sometimes auction previously worn gowns at various charity benefits. The trick is to always keep a look out for Armani-featured events, via both the Internet and fashion publications.
Pre-owned Armani Wedding Dresses
If flying to another country isn't quite within your wedding budget, there are quite a few options when it comes to buying an Armani style that is pre-owned. Keep in mind that because of the exclusivity and quality of these dresses, buying them secondhand can still have a significant price tag attached.
- eBay - Armani bridal gowns are sometimes available through auction sites such as eBay. Although the selection will vary, you may be able to find pre-owned bridal or evening dresses.
- 1stdibs.com - This is a good option for authentic vintage designer names and may feature elegant Armani styles, such as vintage silk gowns. The website guarantees that items will be delivered as described, and listings have suggested prices but may be negotiable.
Armani Dresses in Stores
Another option that could work for your wedding is to purchase an Armani design that is available to purchase in-store. There are a number of day and formal dresses that would be appropriate for a wedding, especially if you prefer an informal dress. If you are having a casual wedding, you may not need any modifications, but if you are having a more traditional or formal wedding, you may want modifications, such as embellishments or a train added.
- Giorgio Armani - Find a range of dresses based on the current season's styles, priced from just over $1,000 to about $7,000. A style like this two-tone pleated bodice and flounced skirt dress (just under $7000) done in silk and silk organza could be perfect for the bride looking for something a little different.
- Emporio Armani - This Armani line features lower-priced styles that may be a bit more casual or modern than the traditional line. Brides looking for a casual designer dress may find the perfect look here, such as this pale blue spaghetti strap dress done in crepe with a flattering shirred waist accent and a-line skirt (about $1,100).
Still yet another option for brides who fall in love with the Armani style or a specific dress design, but are on a tighter budget, is to look at dresses inspired by the designer's style. While the craftsmanship and materials won't be at the same level of an original, you can still evoke a similar sophisticated look with a knock-off design. bridal magazines sometimes feature Armani wedding dresses and bridesmaid gowns as well. Check the listings of the most recent issue of your favorite magazine to see if any Armani dresses are shown. Places to look inspired-by styles include:
- Morilee - Morilee features hundreds of wedding dresses in all sizes, including a few that are similar to ones royalty have worn, like Beatrice Borromeo's and Charlene of Monaco's dresses. Prices generally range from around $1,000 to $6,000 or more.
- Darius Cordell - If you're looking for a USA-based retailer of inspired-by wedding dress, check out the Darius Cordell catalog. They have nine different bridal collections, but will also make an inspired-by gown to your specifications. They can accommodate any size. Prices range from about $1,000 to over $5,000 for current collections; prices for made-to-order designs vary.
Celebrity Dresses - This website has designs inspired by those that celebrities have worn, from the red carpet to weddings. There are many elegant dresses featured, from strapless styles to vintage looks, with most ranging in price from $100 to $300.
Designer Wedding Dress Options for Discerning Brides
Finding the perfect wedding gown can be a challenge, especially if you are in the market for a Giorgio Armani wedding dress. However, there are several options to help you find the dress of your dreams, whether you visit a fashion show, explore ready-made or pre-owned options, or choose to go with a budget-friendly inspired-by pattern. One thing's for certain - the sophistication and elegance associated with Armani designs aren't going anywhere, so you can rest assured you'll have an incredible dress.