A white almond sour cream cake made for your wedding is a great dessert choice. Traditionally made with a white cake mix, the final doctored result, has a rich classic homemade flavor. All you need is a great recipe!
White Almond Sour Cream Wedding Cake Ideas
In addition to being relatively easy to make, the flavor of white almond sour cream cake is light and neutral enough that it will pair well with almost any filling and frosting.
The cake is moistened with sour cream, gets a fluffy texture from egg whites, and is flavored with almond extract and vanilla extract. If you'd like to alter the wedding cake flavor, you can simply use another flavor extract instead, such as orange, lemon, coffee, or lavender. Although the cake may not stay quite as white if you stray from the traditional boxed mix, you could use yellow cake mix, coconut cake mix, or white chocolate cake mix instead for a slightly different flavor.
It's a delight to choose a filling and frosting for white almond sour cream cake because there's almost no end to delicious flavor combinations. Berry fillings and frostings work well, such as strawberry, raspberry, or blackberry; lemon is also a nice, light option that can nicely set off the almond flavor. If you want to keep the overall texture light, a whipped cream filling and frosting are excellent choices. Buttercream also works well with the cake, whether you go with traditional vanilla or a recipe that includes some sour cream for tartness. Even a thin layer of chocolate ganache poured over the top of the cake can be an impressive foil to the moist, fluffy texture inside. To emphasize the almond in the cake, you might consider placing a border of raw almonds around the base of the cake or topping each slice with an almond when it's served.
Because it uses egg whites rather than whole eggs, a white almond sour cream cake recipe retains the traditional white cake batter that is common at weddings, making it ideal for elegant decorations. Frosting it with a white buttercream, white royal icing, or white fondant will yield some very classy-looking pieces of cake. If you want to break with the all-white color scheme in a dramatic yet beautiful way, consider using fresh flowers. Daisies, violets, roses, or lilies can add lovely pops of color to each tier of your cake and look particularly excellent against a stark white background.
You can also choose to separate the tiers of your cake with colored ribbons to provide some texture and visual interest. If you'd rather stick with mostly or all white decorations, however, you still have plenty of choices. Ask your decorator to stencil an imprinted floral design into the side of fondant frosting, for example, or pipe on white buttercream star accents. You could also use an all-white cake topper or hire a decorator to create a pair of fondant doves to place on top of the cake.
The below recipe for white almond sour cream cake is from Food.com and serves 40 to 50 people; it can be doubled or halved if needed.
- 2 18-oz. boxes white cake mix
- 2 c. flour
- 2 c. sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 2/3 c. water
- 1/4 c. canola oil or vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. almond extract
- 2 c. sour cream
- 8 large egg whites
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare your cake pan by coating it with butter and a dusting of flour. Place a square or circle of parchment paper in the bottom of the pan so the cake won't stick when you take it out.
- Combine the cake mixes, flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Stir with a whisk.
- In another bowl, mix the water, oil, vanilla extract, almond extract, sour cream, and egg whites.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and beat the cake batter at medium speed for about 2 minutes.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan. Don't over-fill; the batter shouldn't go more than 3/4 the way up the sides of the pan and should ideally be just above half full.
- Bake the cake until a toothpick in the center comes out clean. Baking time will vary by pan size; to be as accurate as possible, check the cake every 5 minutes or so after the first half hour of baking.
Delicious Wedding Cake
A white almond sour cream cake is a wonderfully delicious choice for weddings that is easily customizable to anyone's taste. The tried and true recipe is sure to be a favorite for many wedding guests.