Although it's surprising to many people, naked weddings are growing in popularity. This phenomenon was once nearly the sole domain of nudists and those living in nudist colonies. Today, even couples outside of this society niche are considering this highly intimate type of wedding.
Naturist Wedding Traditions
Nude weddings involve some or all of the wedding party in the nude and guests as well. Many nudists and members of nudist colonies choose to marry in the nude because it makes them feel closer to nature. Others choose this unique take on a wedding simply to try something new and out of the ordinary for themselves. Still others may choose nude weddings for spiritual purposes, citing the intimacy of being in the nude as a way of strengthening their spiritual connection with a higher power.
Similarities to Traditional Weddings
Other than the fact that getting married in the nude eliminates the need for traditional wedding attire, nude weddings are remarkably similar to typical weddings. Brides and grooms getting married in the nude will still need to think of many of the things associated with clothed weddings.
- Wedding Flowers: Many nude weddings still include bouquets and floral decorations, both at the ceremony and at the reception.
- Wedding Party: Just like clothed events, many nudist ceremonies do include both bridesmaids and groomsmen. Sometimes, these individuals will be clothed, depending on their preferences. Other weddings will feature the entire wedding party in the nude. Which you choose depends on the comfort level of everyone involved and your preferences. If you really want everyone in the bridal party to be nude, allow bridesmaids and groomsmen to bow out of the wedding party after you make the request if they are not comfortable with nudity.
- Legalities: Naked weddings still require a marriage license and all the other paperwork that comes along with getting married. Likewise, those hoping to get married in the nude will need to find an ordained minister or other marriage official to officiate the wedding and make the marriage legal.
- Wedding Reception: The wedding reception serves as an after party for those attending the ceremony, and sometimes for those who didn't attend the actually marriage ceremony. It's a time of celebration with family and friends, usually including food and some type of entertainment. These receptions may be clothing optional to include those who may not feel comfortable shedding their clothes, but still want to celebrate the big day.
Many people have concerns about including children at naked weddings. This is a very personal decision that is based entirely on the preferences of the parents and the other individuals involved.
Planning a Nude Wedding
When planning this type of wedding, there are a few things you'll need to consider that more traditional brides and grooms will not:
- Comfort of Family Members and Friends: There may be many of your family and friends who are not comfortable participating in or attending a naked ceremony. It's important to be receptive to their concerns and to answer questions they may have. Some people choose to have two separate ceremonies, one naked and one clothed, to allow everyone to celebrate the event. Another option is to have a clothed wedding reception following the nude wedding ceremony.
- Invitation Wedding: If you are inviting non-nudists or those that may have issue with a naked event, it's important that you choose appropriate wording in the invitation.
- Location: It isn't possible to get married in the nude just anywhere. However, there are many resorts all over the globe that cater to this type of event. Likewise, many areas in nudist colonies, on nude beaches, nudist cruises, and at nudist camp sights may be suitable for a naked wedding.
- Honeymoon: If you want to go in the buff on your honeymoon as well, you may want to check out some nudist advocacy websites that recommend great vacation destinations for nudists. The American Association for Nude Recreation (AANR) is a great place to check out for vacation ideas.
Get Wedding Advice From Practicing Naturists
For more information on how to plan a naked or naturist wedding, consult a local nudist colony or search online for nudist communities that can offer you advice and tips.