When attending a wedding, it is always appropriate to send warm wishes to the couple by congratulating them and wishing them luck in their future. Whether it is for a friend, relative, co-worker or neighbor, you will want to write down some words of congratulations in form of a card or letter, even if you can't attend.
Receiving a wedding invitation card is often a time for joyous preparations. After all, you want to celebrate the day with the happy couple. Whether you attend the wedding or have a prior commitment, you should share you enthusiasm for the special day with words of congratulations. However, not everyone is a natural wordsmith. A thesaurus can help you find the right words instead of repeating the same ones over and over again. Writing out a rough draft or two can help before you transfer your message into a card.
11 Sample Words of Congratulations Messages
You can also use verses, quotations and poems in your card or letter. You can use quotes alone or with a brief message of your own. The type of words will also depend on your personality as well as your relationship with the couple. While a humorous message might be acceptable for a close friend or family member, steer clear of humor and opt for a simple and genuine message of congratulations for an acquaintance or co-worker.
Customize one of the following 11 samples, or use them as inspiration for your own words of congratulations.
- May your love bloom brighter and your companionship grow sweeter with each passing year. Congratulations on your wedding.
- Wishing both of you a world of happiness and joy on your wedding day.
- May your marriage be filled with all the right ingredients: a heap of love, a dash of humor, a touch of romance, and a spoonful of understanding. May your joy last forever. Congratulations!
- Your wedding day may come and go, but may your love forever grow. Congratulations to the perfect couple!
- Congratulations to a beautiful couple. Wishing you a wonderful journey as you build your new life together.
- Wishing you both the happily ever after you deserve. Congratulations on your wedding day!
- Through the storms of life, may your love for one another be steadfast and strong. Wishing you joy and happiness on your wedding day. Congratulations!
- Just a note to say how happy we are for you. Wishing you a lifetime of the greatest joy, love, and happiness. Congratulations to a wonderful couple!
- Words are just not quite enough today
When your love will light the way
To a wedding filled with joy never ending
The warmest wishes are what we are sending.
- Like a lighthouse on a dark night, may your love for one another always shine brightly. Congratulations on your wedding day.
- May the years ahead be filled with lasting joy. Congratulations to a couple whose match truly seems made in heaven!
Find help creating a meaningful letter to the bride and the groom using websites designed specifically for this purpose. The site iSample Letters will help you create personalized letters with an elegant design. Choose one of the wedding day letters to write your congratulatory words to the couple. Simply fill in the blanks with the appropriate information, or make any slight modifications that you feel will make the letter more personal.
Another program that helps compose letters is the WriteExpress. Helpful letter writing tips are included on the opening page. Order one of the three software versions in order to get help writing a congratulatory wedding letter. Use other features of the software to write letters for numerous other situations.
Compose a Heartfelt Message
There may come a time when you cannot attend a friend or family member's wedding. Regardless of the reason for not attending, you should still send a heartfelt message in a letter to the couple expressing your words of congratulations to them.
As you compose your message, keep the following tips in mind:
- A poem or quotation on love and marriage can be a good way to begin or end a letter.
- Lighthearted humor may be appropriate, depending on your relationship.
- Speak about your personal thoughts or advice on love and how it applies to the couple.
- Write down future hopes for the couple and their happiness.
- Make a sincere apology for not attending the wedding.
- Propose getting together to view photographs and talk about the wedding after the honeymoon.
Keep the mailing date in mind when you are sending the letter. If you send it before the wedding, you can mention how you are happy to help with any preparations before the blessed event. If you are mailing the letter after the wedding, you could write a short note about how everyone raved about the bride's dress, wedding cake or other aspect of the wedding.
Send the Congratulatory Letter
If you know you cannot attend the wedding, you should send your letter as soon as you possibly can. In cases of an emergency situation, you will want to send your message of congratulations as close to the actual wedding date as possible.
When you will not be attending the wedding, it is appropriate to send a gift in lieu of your presence, though it is not required. You can choose something from their wedding registry or enclose a monetary gift in the card with your words of congratulations for a wedding. If you happen to live close to the couple or their parents, you may also choose to drop off your congratulatory letter and gift.
A simple letter or note to the couple can be a nice way to congratulate them on their marriage even if you cannot attend the festivities. By carefully planning what you wish to say and being sincere in your wording, the couple will feel your presence at their ceremony even when you're not there in person.