Wedding cakes with waterfalls can be lovely, romantic desserts that are artistic pastries and a highlight of the wedding reception decorations. With many options available, there is a waterfall wedding cake design suitable for many different types of nuptials.
A waterfall is a wistful, romantic scene, whether the brilliant water plunges down dramatic cliffs or trickles over meandering cascades. Waterfalls are scenic and beautiful, and dozens of magnificent waterfalls around the country named after bridal or wedding veils because of their tapering tiers.
Couples may choose a waterfall wedding cake simply because they enjoy the beauty of the cascading falls, or they may have more memorable reasons, such as:
- The marriage proposal or wedding ceremony takes place near a waterfall. Many mountain or beach wedding ceremonies are near waterfalls in lovely scenic locations.
- A waterfall is planned as part of the honeymoon, such as Niagara Falls, which is one of the world's most popular honeymoon spots.
- The wedding has a tropical theme and a waterfall is part of the planned decorations. Some reception locations may even feature a faux waterfall in the background or as a photo backdrop.
- The couple is planning a swan, aquarium, or other aquatic motif for their celebration and a waterfall can be a delightful addition to the theme.
Types of Wedding Cakes with Waterfalls
There are many design options for waterfall wedding cakes, some of which incorporate real moving water while others simulate the appearance of a waterfall in a more creative way.
- Drizzle Icing: Cakes with icing drizzled down the tiers are reminiscent of a waterfall design, particularly if the icing drizzle is confined to one area of the cake rather than spread evenly around all sides.
- Working Fountains: A fountain wedding cake can use a real, working fountain that is similar to a waterfall. Fountains are available in different sizes and shapes to suit any cake.
- Floral Falls: A carefully arranged cascade of flowers down the sides of a wedding cake can simulate the appearance of a waterfall. Blue flowers such as hydrangea can be used for a vibrant aquatic look.
- Terraced Pools: A wedding cake can be designed to incorporate decorative "pools" on each tier, with waterfalls connecting the tiers for a coordinated design.
- Shaped Cakes: For a more intricate and realistic waterfall, the entire cake could be constructed as a cliff or rock wall with an elaborate icing stream and waterfall as a focal point. This is particularly popular for groom's cakes, and a waterfall design will be a whimsical touch for a fishing-themed cake.
- Waterfall Stands: Some wedding cakes with waterfalls may actually use an elaborate wedding cake stand that features a functioning waterfall, rather than incorporating the waterfall design into the cake itself.
For pictures of various waterfall cake designs, visit:
No matter what waterfall cake design a couple chooses, it is the small details of that design that make the cake even more stunning. The color of the icing can help highlight the waterfall effect, and adding wave-like embellishments and pearl decorations will reinforce the aquatic theme. Couples can also incorporate decorative bridges or islands for the wedding cake topper, or choose a topper with a watery theme, such as swans, mermaids, or fish to add a touch of related whimsy to the cake.
Finding a Waterfall Cake Designer
Wedding cakes with fountains or waterfalls can be difficult to design and may require more intense labor and specialized experience from the bakery to ensure the cake is elegant as well as edible (wet cake is not particularly appetizing). Because these cakes can be tricky, the wedding cake price is typically higher and may include more costly setup fees, particularly for real working waterfall or fountain cakes.
Couples should be clear about the type of waterfall wedding cake they want to design when they consult with a baker. If the expectations and requirements are clear, the baker will be able to provide a realistic assessment of whether or not a waterfall design is feasible.
If a couple wants a waterfall motif for their reception but an edible waterfall cake isn't possible, there are several alternatives to consider that can help create a similar ambiance without added complications.
- Add a chocolate fondue fountain to the menu. The circulating chocolate "waterfall" will be a delicious option for guests.
- Investigate a punch fountain arrangement for serving drinks instead of static punch bowls.
- Find elegant table or decorative waterfall fountains to use as part of the table decorating, particularly for the cake table.
- Investigate rental options for large functioning waterfalls that can be easily assembled in any reception area for an instant waterfall tableau.
Wedding cakes with waterfalls can be elegant, unique wedding cakes that are an exotic and memorable part of the wedding reception décor. Whether a couple wants a real waterfall or a decorative icing one, they can find a delicious way to add this natural beauty to their wedding cake.