Whether you are having an outdoor garden wedding, a Victorian theme wedding, or just want the whimsical look of Victorian garden wedding cake stands, this simple touch can add elegance and beauty to your reception.
Characteristics of Victorian Theme Cake Stands
The Victorian era is often synonymous with romance and the detailed, ornate outfits and furnishings of the era translate well into a lovely wedding cake stand. While not every stand with this feel must necessarily be intricate in nature, attention to detail and embellishment, such as gentle curls and swathes in the stand, are reflective of the look.
Characteristics and style elements of a Victorian garden cake stand include:
- Ornate detail
- Hanging prisms or other hanging embellishments
- Curving trellis designs or accents
- Scrollwork or swirls
- Multiple tiers supported with scrollwork
- Engraving and detail work in materials like silver (popular in cake plateau stands)
- Fleur-de-lis or floral details
- Patterned glass or acrylic
- Skirting stands or detailed edging options
- Footed stands with scrolled or detailed feet
- Fancy mirrored stands
- Beading, scalloped edges, or other edging accents
Materials for Victorian cake stands range in price and include acrylic, iron, crystal, glass, porcelain, silver, brass (with cake plate in china or other material), and even rich woods such as mahogany.
Where to Buy Victorian Garden Wedding Cake Stands
To find the perfect stand, you may need to do a little digging. Consider resources such as thrift shops and antique markets for stylish stands - or go online to sites like Go Antiques for possible finds. You can also consider borrowing several smaller Victorian dessert stands or pedestals for an eclectic collection that adds interest to the cake table and still maintains the Victorian theme.
To purchase a stand, visit one of the following retailers, or seek out stores that specialize in Victorian theme items.
- Sugar Craft: Lovely scrolled acrylic cake stand pieces can be used to create your desired number of layers, and satellite stands make an impressive layout at the cake table.
- Pattern Glass.com: For an original and authentic glass stand, visit this site for beautiful antique designs in colored and clear glass.
- Lucullus Antiques sells a stunning raised silver plateau style Victorian stand with engraved floral and beaded details.
- Roses and Tea Cups: Several romantic reproduction Victorian stands are available here, including glass stands, porcelain pedestals, skirted plateaus, and two tier stands.
- Ideas in Iron offers gorgeous iron cake stands, some with scrollwork or vine detailing for purchase and rental that can be used for Victorian or garden weddings.
Creative Victorian Wedding Cake Stand Ideas for Garden Weddings
- Place wedding cupcakes or other confections on tiered bone china dessert stands with a Victorian pattern.
- For an inexpensive way to create a Victorian touch, use delicate paper doilies under sliced cake or under cake tiers on a basic stand.
- If you fall in love with an elaborate style in a more expensive material such as crystal or iron, consider renting the stand.
- Use a pedestal style cake stand and use the tradition of the Victorian cake pull, whereby bridesmaids pull charms from ribbons tucked between layers of cake. This adds more detail and interest to the cake and adds to the theme.
- Add bows to a cake stand for an instant boost of appeal from this era.
Coordinating the Stand and Your Victorian Cake
When planning a garden wedding or Victorian garden theme, find a balance between the intricacy of your cake and your Victorian garden wedding cake stand. You want the stand to complement the cake, not outshine or overwhelm it. Since a minimalist, plain cake design is not reflective of the Victorian era theme, try using similar design elements to coordinate the stand and cake together. Too many different embellishments and design details will detract from the overall beauty of your lovely cake and stand, so deciding on a way to harmonize the stand and the cake while still retaining the delicate intricacy and ornate feel will result in a breathtaking addition to the garden wedding décor for your special day.
Victorian garden wedding cake stands are intricate, lovely accents for elegant events. Whether you choose a simple Victorian motif or a more elaborate stand, it is sure to add an element of authenticity and romance to your wedding cake table.