Writing a maid of honor speech for your sister can be difficult for even the closest of siblings. After all, you want to honor the bride on the most important day of her life. Keeping in mind a few simple tips can help make the creative process easier.
Consider using one of the following sample speeches. Print them out by clicking on the speech images, opening them with Adobe Reader, and filling in the details so that they apply more specifically to your sister and the special relationship you share. Details are added at the appropriate places indicated by the brackets and suggested information.
For the Sister Who Was "Too Little"
In the sample speech to the upper right, you'll find a template perfect for a younger sister filling the maid of honor role. For example, you may want to say your sister is "bossy, bossy, bossy" and that you wanted to try on her clothes and dig through her makeup. This speech sample is perfect for you if you always looked up to your sister as a role model or if she felt you were a bit of a tag along when little.
Your Sister's "Prince Charming"
The sample speech to the right offers the opportunity for the maid of honor to share her sister's earliest thoughts about the man she would eventually marry - no matter how funny or silly they seem now. For example, some of the desirable traits she may have wanted when she dreamt of him at age 15 might be that he have a driver's license, a job at the pizza parlor, be blonde, and play soccer. This speech allows your special bond to show through and pokes a little fun at the bride without going overboard.
Things to Include
While a fairly generic speech may work well for a friend, a speech for your sister as her maid of honor should celebrate your special bond. Some ideas on things you can include are:
- Funny memories from early childhood, such as when she used to tag along with your friends, or vice versa
- Ways that you look up to or aspire to be like your sister, past and present
- Special nicknames that you used to call each other (keep it PG, of course)
- Secret things that you used to keep from your parents, such as staying up late talking on school nights
- Early dating stories, and how you supported one another through love and heartbreak
- How you knew that she had finally found her special someone
Additional Speech Tips
- Do not force yourself to be funny, sentimental, or formal if that is not your personality. It will sound awkward.
- Avoid embarrassing stories, even if you think they're funny. You do not want to humiliate your sister in front of her friends and family.
- Focus should mostly be on your sister, the bride, as the best man speech will have covered many personal thought about the groom. However, be sure to mention him at some point, because without him, there wouldn't be a wedding!
- Avoid too much alcohol until after your speech is over.
- Raising your glass in a toast to the couple is a great way to end the speech. Be sure to have a glass, even if it is just water, ready to go.
If you have a talent, like singing, writing poetry, or playing an instrument, you can always do this as part of your speech. Your sister will be honored if you sing her favorite love song or write an original poem in honor of her wedding day.
Speech Examples Online
Despite being raised together, some women still have a hard time coming up with the right words to express their feelings to one another. In these cases, it can be helpful to check out free wedding speeches online that are geared towards a sister acting as maid of honor.
- Poems to Go: The right side of the screen has a maid of honor sample speech for a twin sister. Although fairly personal, it has parts that could be used to describe many sister relationships.
- Maid of Honor Advice: Four different sister speech examples are listed, each for a different type of relationship (older-younger, close-not close). Add a few sentences regarding a personal story, and the speech is complete.
- Maid of Honor Sister Speeches: This is an entire blog devoted to examples of sister speeches for the maid of honor. Use the speech list on the lower right side of the page to pick the one that best describes what you want to convey in the speech.
Special Speeches for Sisters
All of these speeches can be great wedding toasts in honor of the bride. Modify any that need it, and include a few personal touches to create the perfect tribute to your sister and her new husband. With the right personal touches, maid of honor speeches for a sisters can be a heartwarming expression of love, support, and friendship between a bride and her sister. Make sure to practice ahead of time so that you can concentrate on your sister and not on your nerves.