A gallery of exotic wedding cakes can help couples envision twists of flavor and unique designs that make the perfect sweet finish to their wedding day.
Choosing an Exotic Cake
Whether an exotic wedding cake is inspired by an unusual venue, the unique personalities of the bride and groom, or simply a desire for something with a bit more flair than the standard white buttercream, there are ample choices in eclectic cakes. Although traditional tiered wedding cakes can be stunning, today there is such a vast array of choices in color, cake flavor, frosting, and design that many couples opt for cake with a touch of exoticism, whether in the flavor of a spiced rum confection or a completely one-of-a-kind design. Make sure to discuss your expectations for the cake with the confectionary team creating the cake, and be aware that specialty designs typically increase the cake cost, sometimes substantially so.
What Makes a Cake Exotic
Traditional wedding cakes are often round, include at least three pillared tiers, and are made from white cake with a white or ivory buttercream frosting, with frosting flowers as a traditional accompaniment to piped frosting borders. An exotic wedding cake can be anything that deviates from the standard cake. You don't necessarily have to spend a fortune on a unique cake, either. Sometimes a bit of ingenuity is all you need to end up with a fabulous and original cake. A few ideas that make a wedding cake intriguing include:
- Exotic or tropical flowers/plants in sugar frosting, silk, or real blooms (If using fresh, be sure to check with the florist and bakery to see if they are safe to be placed on or near the cake.)
- Brightly colored cakes
- Back and white cakes
- Collections of different individual cakes
- Cake parcels wrapped in raw silk for guests to take home
- Cakes decorated with sugar butterflies or other delicate wildlife renditions
- Octagonal or other uniquely shaped cakes
- Cakes with many tiers
- Eclectic cake stands or toppers
- Cakes inspired from the landscape or culinary delights of a different country
- Tropical motifs such as palm trees or beach scenes
- Unusual recipes or flavors, such as:
- Raspberry and lime
- Chocolate and coffee
- Coconut or pina coloda
- Pinapple, mango, or other exotic fruits
- Rum or other liquers
- Spiced cakes
Photos of Exotic Wedding CakesThe type of exotic cake you'll choose depends upon the locale, your wedding colors, and of course, your personal preferences. Browse the wedding cake pictures below for ideas on your exotic dream cake!