From traditional hymns to more contemporary music, Christian wedding songs are a wonderful way for a couple to show their faith. Choose a beautiful song for every aspect of your wedding that is appropriate for your religious views.
Church and Ceremony Wedding Music
Although most Christian couples recite their vows at a church ceremony, many clergy will officiate at other sites, such as a beach or a park. Although your choice of music may differ depending on both the ceremony locale and the formality of you wedding, pre, post, and during- ceremony music will typically be more subdued than reception music. Christian couples may choose music selections praising God, celebrating His creation of marriage, favorite Christian songs about love, a beloved family or traditional church hymn, or some other choice.
Some popular Christian wedding songs that may be appropriate for wedding ceremonies include:
- Something Beautiful - Newsboys
- When God Made You - Newsong
- I Will Be Here - Steven Curtis Chapman
- For You - Michael W. Smith
- How Beautiful - Twila Paris
- Without Love - Stacie Orrico
- Household Of Faith - Steve & Marijean Green
- Your Love Broke Through - Rebecca St. James
- Give Me Forever ( I Do ) - John Tesh
- By Heart, By Soul - Avalon
- Household Of Faith - Steve Green
- Above All Things - Phil Keaggy
- I Can Only Imagine - Mercy Me
Remember, you'll need songs for the following times during the ceremony:
- Processional prelude
- Processional music
- Worship song, solo, or other mid-ceremony music
- Recessional music
Christian Reception Songs
If you're employing a band, discuss their repertoire in advance to ensure they have the songs you want. With a Christian DJ, you may be able to compile various songs and artists that you want played for specific events at the reception, such as the first dance, mother-son, and father-daughter dance. Some contemporary Christian songs you may want to consider as music for your reception include:
- Made To Love - Tobymac
- So Long Self - Mercyme
- We Live - Superchick
- Dead Man (Carry Me) - Jars Of Clay
- Alive - Rebecca St. James
- Lifesong - Casting Crowns
- Strong Tower - Kutless
- I Will Call Upon The Lord - Disco Saints
- Wherever We Go - Newsboys
- Every Move I Make - Fusebox
- Shackles (Praise You) - Mary Mary
- Kiss Me - Sixpence None The Richer
- God Bless the Broken Road - Rascal Flats
- With Arms Wide Open - Creed
- Show You Love - Clay
- Getting Into You - Relient K
A new trend in wedding ceremony music that Christian music lovers can take advantage of is an iPod powered reception. Download the Christian music you want for the big day onto your iPod and either rent or use the speakers at the reception site. This is an easy and affordable way to get exactly the songs you want played, however, be aware that iPod music works best in small to medium locations and you'll need to get a tech-savvy friend or relative to monitor the music and keep things running smoothly.
Wedding Song Tips
Follow these tips to help you pick the right tune at the right time:
- Medium tempo hymns or worship, Christian wedding, or love songs are great for a pre-ceremony or prelude music.
- For the processional, a slower tempo song that focuses on the love between a bride and groom as part of God's design works well. It may surprise some couples that one of the most common traditional wedding songs is actually not permitted in some parishes. This song is the Bridal Chorus, also known as Here Comes the Bride by Richard Wagner. Check with your church before planning to play this song.
- During the ceremony sermon, a worship or praise song by the congregation about God's love or a praise or Christian love song sung by a soloist can be the perfect touch.
- For other events during a ceremony that might require music, such as a candle lighting memorial or other activity, a more somber song or Christian instrumental might be most appropriate.
- The Christian wedding music you choose for your ceremony will likely be more subdued, while the reception is the place for high energy Christian dance mixes, contemporary Christian music, and more love songs.
Resources for Christian Wedding Songs
Still stuck for ideas on your music selections? Try some of these Christian song resources for more inspiration.
- Rhapsody.com: Browse a list of popular Christian love songs and listen to them free.
- Amazon.com Christian Wedding Music: Browse these music titles submitted by a music-loving Christian bride.
- Worhsip Music.com: Peruse this list of Christian, traditional, and instrumental wedding selections.
- Air 1: This popular Christian radio stations offers streaming broadcasts and shows lyrics to songs being played to help you make your picks.
- CCM Radio Magazine Website: Browse by genre or select from hundreds of Christian artists for great worship, praise, and love songs for your wedding.
Choosing the Perfect Wedding Songs
There are many different ways you can incorporate Christian music into your wedding and reception. Whether you want traditional Christian songs playing at your wedding, or are looking for more modern music with Christian influence, it is important to find songs that speak to you personally and deliver the type of Christian message you want for your wedding.