The bridal shower cake is time honored tradition. This tasty staple is generally served at the end of the event, sending each guest home on a sweet note.
In recent years, shower cakes have become more elaborate. No longer can we expect two layer, homemade concoctions. Nowadays a shower cake is a treat to be purchased from a talented baker. This isn't to say the homemade cakes aren't appreciated just as much, however. The type of cake you choose depends on your budget and the shower's theme, but most agree it should be photo-worthy.
How Many Guests?
How many guests will be attending the shower? This is one of the most important factors in determining what type of bridal shower cake cake you should choose. If you're only expecting five to ten guests, it's probably a good idea to bake the cake yourself or purchase a small pre-made cake from your favorite bakery. If you'll be having ten people or more, you'll probably want to order the cake from your favorite bakery or pastry shop.
Types of Bridal Shower Cakes
Depending on the number of people, you can order a half sheet cake serving up to 50 guests, or full sheet cake that will serve up to 100 guests. Or you can something completely different. A cupcake bridal shower cake is handy because servings are already portioned out. By ordering one cupcake for each guest, there are no leftovers to deal with and no messy plates and cutting knives to wash.
Mini bridal cakes are also popular. Choose a two or three tiered affair decked out in the bridal colors. Don't go for a white cake however, you don't want it to look just like the wedding cake.
Bridal Shower Cake Ideas
- Now that photo cakes are widely available, have a cake made up with a picture of the bride and groom on top.
- Heart shaped cakes are always perfect for bridal showers.
- Instead of chocolate or vanilla, try something a bit different. Key lime, lemon, banana and canola filling are a pleasant change from the usual.
- Choose a cake following your bridal shower's theme, or the wedding's theme. For instance, if the bride is having a beach wedding, decorate the cake with seashells and starfish.
- Before going with an exotic flavor, check with your guests to be sure there are no allergies.
When to Order
Your bridal shower cake should be ordered two weeks to a month before the event. While this may seem like a lot of time, you want to give your baker ample time to prepare. You also want enough time so that adjustments can be made if the theme or number of guests changes.
Generally the cake is ready to pick up the day of the shower. Talk to the baker about storage tips. If there's no refrigeration space available, ask for suggestions. In many cases it's recommended to store the cake in a cool area such as basement or garage until it's time to serve.